Happy birthday to the Shehenshah of the hindi film industry.
Amitabh Harivansh Bachchan born 11 October 1942)
Unknown Facts About AMITAB BACHCHAN ( BIG B )
- The superstar gave 12 consecutive flops before his first big hit Zanjeer.
- He wanted to become an engineer and was keen to join the Indian Air Force.
- His first salary was Rs 300.
- Mehmood was also a mentor to Bachchan in his days of struggle and offered him place to stay in his own home.
- Amitabh's actual surname was Shrivastava, his father had adopted the pen name Bachchan. So, the family adopted this surname.
- He was one of the judges for the 1995 Miss World beauty pageant.
- Amitabh has played more double roles than any other actor. In Mahaan, he had a triple role.
His father considered naming him Inquilab (Revolution) before deciding on Amitabh (unending brilliance).
- Amitabh-Jaya are the only real-life couple to have starred on-screen for 30 years from Ek Nazar to Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham - 28 years after their marriage.
He holds the record for most number of best actor nominations for popular film awards.
- The song Rang barse from Silsila and some lyrics from Alaap were penned by his father, Dr. Harvanshrai Bachchan. So is the poetry in Agneepath.
The Indian comic character Supremo is based on him.
- The first Asian actor to have a wax model of his likeness displayed at Madame Tussauds' in London. Another statue was installed in New York and Hong Kong in 2009.
- In 2001, Amitabh Bachchan was honoured with the 'Actor of the Century' award at an Alexandria Film Festival in Egypt.
- Was named Actor of the Millennium in a BBC News Poll ahead of such luminaries as Charlie Chaplin, and Marlon Brando.
On October 31, 2006, he shocked the unit of Shootout at Lokhandwala by recording 23 scenes in 5 hours!
Amitabh Bachchan is very fond of suits. His favourite is Gabbana. They have been designing his suits for the past 30 years.
- His other favourite brand is Fratelli Rossetti, with prices starting from Rs 35,000.
- The Big B owns 11 cars, including one Lexus, two BMWs and three Mercedes.
He hates the word Bollywood, the word that most use to describe the Hindi film industry.
- Saat Hindustani is his only black-and-white film.
- Amitabh Bachchan is ambidextrous hence, can write with both hands equally well.
- At the age of 58, he jumped from a height of 30 feet, along with co-star Manoj Bajpai, for his 2001 movie Aks (2001).
- He acted in 19 Golden Jubilees between 1973 and 1984, with four in 1978
and at least one every year. He had two more Golden Jubilees in the
He is the only actor who has played God (“God Tussi Great Ho”), ghost (“Bhoothnath,” “Delhi-6”) and genie (“Aladin”).
- His first English film “Boom” (2003) saw him get a vicious feedback from his fans for his lecherous role. The same was repeated with “Nishabd.”
Also check out :